Wednesday 1 April 2009

Jenni's update



Jenni signing in here, and like Amanda I’ve been doing some drawings and sketches for my textiles. MY plan is to explore the theme deconstruct/reconstruct not only in the way I’m building up my pieces almost like an urban model of building blocks but also through the inspiration of the textiles I’m making.



Looking at road/urban maps and satellite images and from directly taking drawing of joins in the road, tarmac and paint marks, all areas where construction, deconstruction and reconstruction have taken place. I’m thinking of areas which have the paint marks that I might include some mono printing or directly draw onto the fabric then stitch on top in order to give the freeness rather than using straight ruled lines, all at the development stage at this point.





In the drawing I like the areas of free hand markings which I plan to be the areas of detailed hand stitching, and the shaded areas machine stitched, but like the drawings I think I will plan as I am working on it. I like to work on a few pieces at the same time, I think it helps me in not over thinking the piece and looking at it too much I feel my work loses its appeal if it is too planned or thought our to a point. I have also just had over 10 metres of calico arrive so I think I have plenty of fabric to keep me working!!! Look forward to hear how everyone else is doing soon and if there are any advancements or changes in ideas???
Jennifer Lemon.

2 comments:

Forum Lady said...

You should come down to Donagahdee and look at the roads, they're always being dug up and are looking like patchwork! So much inspiration in something so everyday, good ideas Jenni, looking forward to seeing how they develop. Are you going to use yellow for line marks?

Jennifer Lemon said...

yeah i am thinking of using print such as a bold strong yellow in some pieces of the work, in the same way i use the red line possibly but bolder- drawing attention to certain areas, or as a marker of sorts.