Saturday 11 July 2009

ideas for 2010 exhibition


After some months of procrastination and tossing ideas around I am reaching some conclusions about my work for 2010. I am reversing my original idea of taking a garment, deconstructing it and making a textile piece out of it and am now planning to make a garment out of some silk that was lining my edwardian wardrobe. This project will take me back to my roots in clothing design and construction, at the same time making use of this beautiful, aged and worn fabric. I haven't made a piece of wearable art for some time so this is stirring my creativity. I'll include some printing too, thereby bringing together all my current themes into one project. More soon...


2 comments:

Jennifer Lemon said...

I really like this idea Amanda, it will be great to have some wearable work rather than simply wall based pieces. Looking forward to seeing this idea progress!

Forum Lady said...

The silk is 100 years old so it's pretty fragile but backing will strengthen it. I'm thinking around the idea of a dress with a fitted bodice in the silk and a puffball skirt in composted cotton with a hand printed design on it. The design will be based on the sample block prints that I was making at the Forum week- inspired by the bullrushes at Ballydugan Lake. I think I have a beautiful model to make the dress for. I will get a photography session with her so maybe I can do something with the photos as well as the dress. If time permits this could turn into more than one piece. We'll see.