Tuesday 25 August 2009

Jan's direction currently


Well it seems like it's taken me awhile to get settled what to do with my hexagons and any other ways that I was going to interpret, in my work, the Deconstruct/Reconstruct theme for 2010 but I'm finally getting something together. I have continued with the hexagons I started in Ballyduggan, with a variation of two fabrics within each hexagon. From this I've decided on two pieces, one a triangle, one a rectangle. The triangle top is complete and looks like this prior to quilting and put against a black wall. As it's a triangle, I am still also turning it on a daily basis to determine which way I like it best. The other piece is still definitely in the early works stage as I'm not sure how many more I will be adding but am thinking it will be a block effect.

The second project I've undertaken is remaking a quilt with the Grandmothers Garden pattern that I had originally started in 1973 but never finished. I am redoing 35 of the original blocks putting a row of calico between. The other fun part of this project is that it's using fabric that I had in 1973 from articles of clothing my 4 sisters and I used growing up to make our own clothes.



Finally, I have decided to do a series which came out of needing a journal size (A4) and trialing with some batik fabrics I got last year. I made one but didn't like the results so added a different block type which I thought I liked better but once I quilted them found I had gone back to the original design as my favorite. I am planning on making at least one more for the series but could see it growing beyond that to 5 or 6 even.

No comments: