Monday 8 March 2010

Ester Kiely's update


Just back from my first time participating in the annual week-long residential with the Textile Art Forum. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was delighted with my week.

Before going I felt a full week away to just play with new ideas and techniques was proving difficult to arrange and to justify. But it was really worth it. I found I learned a lot from the others in the group and being away from my daily routine helped me remove all of the distractions that normally delay me from playing around with new ideas (and I didn't miss tv, radio or email at all!).
I tried out some new inks, fabric paints, and ways of reworking my 'stone-wall' series of wall-hangings. The photo shows my new piece created on translucent organza using soluble fabric as a stabilizer to create stitched lace between the stones and capture the bare tree silhouettes. It also gives a flavour of the little workspace I had next to a window beside the fireplace in the cottage. My new home-studio from home! More photos to follow shortly.

2 comments:

Caroline Moore said...

looks like a fabulous place to retreat to Ester and cant wait to see what you come up with. I have only just seen Faoi Sholas na Ghealai and absolutely love it - the detail is amazing.

Forum Lady said...

Delighted that you found your way to the Textile Forum, Ester. Enjoyed your ideas, your cooking and all your help with having supplies when I realized I had forgotten a crucial tool. Frances